“Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1) “ by Sarah Rees Brennan
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal
Summary from Goodreads:
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.
But all that changes when the Lynburns return.
The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?
- Pretty fun mystery storyline going on. It’s a little dark but not terribly off putting.
- I really love that Kami continued to have a strong relationship with her best friend throughout the story. She even gets Angela involved with everything going on and Angela manages to keep up with Kami.
- Kami and Angela even bring another girl into their circle. Holly was quite nice and I think will be a good friend in the series.
- It was pretty cool to see Kami have a good relationship with her family in the story. It’s quite refreshing to see a family stick around in a YA book.
- I didn’t love the love triangle the book was dancing with.
- That said, Kami and Jared’s relationship was interesting. I wasn’t fond of how dependent they were on each other but that’s gotta change because of the ending.
- THAT ENDING. Ugh. I’m glad I have book 2 waiting for me.
The bottom line? Fluffy with some good heart. On to the next book!