Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy
Summary from Goodreads:
The winding streets and narrow alleys of Karolene hide many secrets, and Hitomi is one of them. Orphaned at a young age, Hitomi has learned to hide her magical aptitude and who her parents really were. Most of all, she must conceal her role in the Shadow League, an underground movement working to undermine the powerful and corrupt Arch Mage Wilhelm Blackflame.
When the League gets word that Blackflame intends to detain—and execute—a leading political family, Hitomi volunteers to help the family escape. But there are more secrets at play than Hitomi’s, and much worse fates than execution. When Hitomi finds herself captured along with her charges, it will take everything she can summon to escape with her life.
- While I enjoyed this story, I didn’t love it as much as I loved Thorn (which is a LOT).
- The ideas of the story were good but they weren’t quite developed enough for my taste.
- I think that comes from the length of the story. Amazon says it’s 144 pages and it really feels like that.
- It’s quick paced but I wanted more.
- Really cool fantasy set up. Mages, fangs (vampires?), breathers. Lots of really cool ideas.
- No romance here! There were a couple of spots where you thought it might go that way but thankfully Khanani steered it away from there.
The bottom line? I wanted more! Awesome ideas that need to be fleshed out more. Hopefully that’s done in the next books.