“Kahayatle (Apocalypsis #1)” by Elle Casey
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Science Fiction, Post Apocalyptic
Source: Bought in a Boxset
Summary from Goodreads:
My name’s Bryn Mathis. I’m seventeen years old, and I live in a neighborhood outside of Orlando, Florida. I live alone because my dad died almost a year ago, along with all the other adults in the world. I’m almost out of food and the gangs of kids that roam around my town are getting more vicious by the day.
It’s time for me to leave and find another place to live … a place where I can find food and shelter … a place where they won’t be able to find me.
Alone, it might have been possible; but now I’ve got company. I’m worried that I don’t have what it takes to get from here to my final destination.
And I have no idea what might be waiting for me when I get there.
- Pretty typical post apocalyptic/dystopia book. Something happens to the adults, teens have to survive on their own, madness ensues.
- Nice twist of teaming up with some teen Native Americans.
- I always appreciate a tough girl but it felt like everything worked out too nicely for Bryn.
- It was very readable. It was easy to get sucked into the story.
- I wanted to like the characters but I never could connect with them.
- I know cliffhangers are needed to get readers interested in the story but this one felt more like ending a chapter rather than a story.
The bottom line? Readable but not a story I’ll continue with.