“Ten” by Gretchen McNeil
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Mystery
Summary from Goodreads:
Don’t spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.
It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.
But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.
Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?
- I think your enjoyment of this book will hinge on whether you’ve read Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. I haven’t read the book so all of the twists, turns, and mysteries of the book were new and exciting for me. I’d imagine if you’ve read the Christie book, you’d be a bit bored with the mystery.
- This was a pretty thrilling mystery for me. I ended up devouring the book in one afternoon!
- Since everything was new to me the mystery was thrilling and terrifying. Being stuck on an island with bodies piling up is scary. Finding out there’s a “reason” behind the murders is scarier because of the crazy reasoning.
- I kind of liked the way the murders were carried out. (I know that sounds terrible.) I appreciate creepy details like that.
- The characters were pretty dull and annoying. Were any of the characters supposed to be likable? None of them came across as likeable. I wasn’t too invested on who made it out. I was more curious as to who was the killer.
The bottom line? Intriguing mystery!