April at Good Books and Good Wine came up with this fun challenge. I’ve been seeing it pop up all over my reader so I knew I had to try my hand at it. You can check out the full details here.Day 8: Quick! Write 15 bullet points of things that appeal to you on blog!
- Clean, easy to read theme.
- No cluttered sidebars.
- Reviews are posted fairly consistently.
- Honesty. I don’t want to see nothing but glowing book reviews on a blog. It’s really okay to not like a book. You don’t have to be snarky to write a negative review though. A simple “This character/plot/story didn’t work for me because A, B, and C.” is really, really helpful.
- You have interesting ‘other’ posts! Having only reviews on a blog could be boring but so is having only memes. I really love when blogs make up their own memes/features.
- Having information about a book at the top of the review. (Title, source, genre, etc) I want all that info first. I don’t want to have to search for it.
- Easy to find follow buttons. If I have to really search for it, I’m probably not going to follow you.
- About you! Stumbling across new blogs is fun so I’d love to know about little more about you. I have a tiny about me in the sidebar and an about me page.
- Good variety of book reviews. That’s awesome that you get tons of ARCs but I haven’t actually read those books yet (so I won’t read your review). What about older books? Not necessarily old books but 5-10 year old books? I like fantasy but only having fantasy book reviews could get boring.
- Very few cover reveals or book blasts. Those are pretty boring. For the most part I don’t really care about cover reveals or book blasts *spam*.
- Comment replies! You don’t need to reply to every single comment but I always like to see some discussion going on.
- Discussion posts! I love that anyone can join in with those so conversation really opens up.
- Seeing your personality shine through in the posts. Don’t be a cookie cutter blog. If there are tons of other blogs that do something *that* way, why should you do it? Stand out and be a bit different!
- Read more tags! Without those, it’s a lot of scrolling to work through your blog.
- Some kind of currently reading thing in your sidebar. I’m always nosy to it’s fun to see what people are reading.
Feel free to share yours or link me to yours!