It’s that time of year again (or at least I assume it is. I keep seeing stuff for it at the library). Battle of the Books time! For those of you who don’t know, Battle of the Books is a fun reading program for 3rd -12th graders. Basically you read the books on the year’s list and you compete against other teams by answering questions about the books. It’s been 10+ years since I’ve participated but I think that’s all that’s to it. Schools and libraries typically host the event. There are age brackets so kids are competing against peers.
Here are some of my recommendations off this year’s list:
- Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
- Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
- Sideways Stories From Wayside School by Louis Sachar
You can check out last year and this year’s book list here. It’s a really good list of children’s books if you’re looking for suggestions.
What are some of your recommendation off of the list?